||Library Metadata Specialist
The Health Sciences Library and Informatics Center (HSLIC) is seeking a Library Metadata Specialist, who is enthusiastic about cataloging and discoverability, and who is adaptable, a self-starter with the ability to pay close attention to detail and to prioritize tasks. The incumbent acts as a data custodian for the library catalog and is responsible for developing and implementing efficient workflows for maintaining the integrity of the database, and manage holdings. This includes management of the electronic resource management tool/knowledge base, cataloging, and maintaining user interfaces for library resources.
HSLIC uses WorldShare Management Services (WMS) as the staff interface, and ILS as the library management system and WorldCat Discovery as the user interface. This person will work and collaborate with a variety of library staff in both public and technical services to ensure access to and inventory control of the library’s holdings.
- Maintains user interfaces for the discovery and delivery of library collections.
- Provides copy and, on occasion, original cataloging of library materials (general and special collections - including e-books, monographs, serials, rare-books, manuscripts, data-sets, and audiovisual material) according to local and national standards.
- Maintains metadata for electronic resource records in WMS Collection Manager.
- Troubleshoots access issues to electronic resources, and communicates with staff within and outside of the department to investigate and resolve electronic resources metadata issues.
- Develops and implements procedures to integrate and maintain library systems with campus, university, or third-party systems and applications.
- May serve as a back-up support for the library course reserves service.
- Prepares and maintains reports and statistical data from various systems to assist the library in maximizing data-driven decision-making.
- Documents workflows, standards, and procedures related to the library systems, services, and related applications.
- Participates in analysis of current and proposed library systems; may provide configuration of advanced systems including data migration.
- Participates in the review, evaluation, and recommendation of emerging technologies, software, and/or tools to aid in the promotion and delivery of library resources.
- Maintains awareness of technical advances in library management systems, discovery systems, web development and protocols.
- May supervise student employees and other library staff as needed.
- Performs record loads and configures new collections and data sources and works to integrate records from disparate systems into the discovery system as needed.
- May use available APIs and web services, develop or modify API scripts as needed for data retrieval and system integrations with third-party applications.
- Additional job duties as assigned based on individual knowledge, skills, and abilities.
See the Position Description for additional information.
|Conditions of Employment
- Specialty licensure/certification may be required, as specified by the department.
- Successful candidate may be subject to a criminal background check prior to starting work.
Bachelor's degree; at least 1 year of progressively responsible experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Higher education and/or experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
- Graduate degree, at time of hire, in library or information science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited institution.
- Experience working in an academic library performing similar job duties.
- Experience with copy and original cataloging of library materials.
- Experience in maintaining electronic resource management tools, or knowledge base such as WorldShare, Sierra, EBSCO Discovery Services, etc.
- Experience troubleshooting access issues with electronic resources.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM
||HS Library (483A)
||Regular - Full-Time
|Term End Date
||$3,434.31 - $4,500.00 Monthly
||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.
||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.
|Background Check Required
|For Best Consideration Date
Only applications submitted through the official UNMJobs site will be accepted. If you are viewing this job advertisement on a 3rd party site, please visit UNMJobs to submit an application.Applicants must provide:
- Cover letter addressing the minimum and preferred qualifications
- Professional writing sample of a policy, procedure, guideline, etc. (must be the primary author)
- Contact information for three supervisor references
Finalists for this position should be prepared to provide official educational transcripts if selected for hire.
For further information, please contact David Lucero at (505) 272-0634, firstname.lastname@example.org