Position Title: Library Spec, Sr
College/Division: DACC Dona Ana CC
Location: Doña Ana Community College
Target Hourly/Salary Rate: 16.05
Appointment Full-time Equivalency: 1.0
Exempt or Non-Exempt: Non-Exempt
--CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION--
Under general supervision, performs moderately complex tasks in one or more library specialization, such as technical, public, and access services. May assist in the total operations of one or more specialty units. May participate in the development of policy and procedures. Participates in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of library programs and services.
Oversees, coordinates, and/or performs the integrated activities of the specialty service unit; plans, organizes, and implements the provision of services; which may include application administration of systems used for cataloging, circulation, reserves, interlibrary loan, serials, scheduling, and materials processing. Supervises and trains lower graded staff, student employees, or interns. Reviews, evaluates, and initiates services to library clients, to include students, faculty, staff, and the general public. Provides assistance to patrons regarding general and specific information about the library and library resources. Implements and maintains service quality and productivity standards for the unit. Participates in planning and policy setting; implements, communicates, and monitors policy and procedures relevant to the unit. May provide liaison services and consultation for faculty in a particular subject area.Maintains professional knowledge base and skills through continued education and/or research. May perform complex and specialized reference and/or information service activities in a specific operating unit or area of subject expertise. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in a related field.
Required Experience: Three (3) years of experience related to the standard duties as outlined.
Equivalency: Any equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience as approved by Human Resource Services.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Knowledge of library acquisition practices and budget availability. Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures. Knowledge of library packages, software and products as well as other emerging technologies. Knowledge of library theory, concepts, methods, and techniques. Knowledge of faculty and/or staff hiring procedures.
Skill in the use of computers, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment. Skill in the use of automated library systems.
Ability to interpret and evaluate client informational needs and to determine appropriate alternative solutions. Ability to analyze and solve problems. Ability to effectively communicate and foster a cooperative work environment. Ability to plan, organize and oversee the operations of an integrated library service activity. Ability to plan and implement operational policies and procedures in area of expertise. Ability to make evaluative judgments. Ability to provide technical advice and information to faculty in area of expertise. Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments. Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials. Ability to coordinate quality assurance programs in area of specialty.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Hire, supervise, train, and evaluate lower graded staff or student employees.
• Schedule and evaluate service at a customer service point.
• Utilize various library systems on a daily basis, such as those used for cataloging, circulation, reserves, interlibrary loan, serials, scheduling, and materials processing.
• Provide assistance to patrons or customers to locate needed information and utilize library services.
• Ensure a safe library environment for patrons and staff by reporting behavior violations and contacting appropriate authorities regarding health and security issues or atypical conduct.
• Interpret policies and procedures to staff and public as well as review and suggest revisions.
• Serve as a member of the management team in collaboration with Library Director and other staff.
• Participate, as assigned in system wide meetings, special projects, and committees.
All applications must be submitted through the NMSU Careers Website.